Saturday, December 22, 2012

Cinder--Review

Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 400

Synopsis: Humans and androids crows the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl...

Cinder, a gifted mechanic is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the centre of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

___________________________________________
Review: I had been wanting to read this novel for quite some time, but at the same time I was a little bit hesitant because I didn't think that I was going to enjoy it. I had also not read a novel before about cyborgs, which is initially why I thought I wasn't going to like it. I had only read about a chapter or so, and I was finding it a little bit difficult to get into. When it comes to reading, I'm a bit stubborn sometimes and  I really don't like to leave books unfinished, and boy am I glad that I kept pushing through this one. I absolutely loved it!

The whole idea of this story and the world that was created was wonderful and this modern retelling of Cinderella was quite enjoyable. The setting was great. Meyer spared no detail when describing New Beijing, which as it turns out is a really complex city. I also really enjoyed the way she had a majority of countries and continents to all be in an alliance, which has come together after a war. I think my favourite though would be the civilization that was she created on the Moon. .

The only issue that I had with this book, and it really wasn't a big one, was that I found some of the novel's twists were a bit too predictable it terms the secrets that were surrounding Cinder. Although this really didn't affect how I felt about the book and I still found it to be really entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. It was a really wonderful and exciting twist on a well known fairytale. I cannot wait for the second book!

Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment