Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Hunger Games--Review

Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 384

Synopsis:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the other districts in line by forcing them to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight-to-the-death on live TV.
One boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and sixteen are selected by lottery to play. The winner brings riches and favor tohis or her district. But that is nothing compared to what the Capitol wins: one more year of fearful compliance with its rule. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her impoverished district in the Games.
But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

___________________________________________________________________

Review:  I was not planning on doing a review for this book for the simple fact that I was so late in getting to it, that I figured just about everyone has already read it. However, I ended up loving it so much, that I thought, what's one more review.

The main reason that I decided to pick up this book was because my sister kept telling me that I wasn't going to like it, and it wasn't my sort of thing. She had read it a few years ago, told me about it, but I hadn't ever gotten around to reading it. So, a few weeks ago, I had gone to Costco with my parents, and they had the boxset on sale for $30, so I picked it up.  Also, I really wanted to read it before I watched the movie (I'm weird like that).

I knew what the book was about when I was getting into it, however, it completely surpassed any expectations that I had about it. I'm also just going to say that this was not a book that I would have just picked up on my own to read. I have give my sister some credit, if it wasn't for her constantly saying that I wasn't going to enjoy it, then I never would have tried. Initially, I had a bit of a hard time getting into the story based on the first few chapters, but I understand that a set-up is necessary. After that though I was completely hooked! I really loved the world that Collins has created, and in a lot of ways it has really made me think about a lot of issues that we're facing today.

The entire plot was completely unique and I really liked being submerged into the world of Panem. It was a really thrilling read, and it kept me up at night, I couldn't seem to put the book down. Along with the great plot are great characters. I really enjoyed Effie Trinket and Cinna, of course I really enjoyed Peeta and Katniss as well, and I'm really curious to see what happens with them in the next two books!

I feel a bit silly for being so behind on getting to these books, but better late than never. I'm willing to bet that most people have read the trilogy by this point, but if haven't yet, I strongly recommend that you pick it up as it is definitely a must read!

Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment