Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Life As We Know It-Review

Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Publisher: Graphia (2006)
Pages: 337

Synopsis: Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.

Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all--hope--in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world.

________________________________________



 Review: I originally picked this book up because of the cover, it just caught my eye! My sister had read it,a and she suggested that I read this book, and I ended up loving it! The book is told by Miranda through her diary entries.

The book begins with Miranda explaining certain details about her life, family and school. She is, in most aspects a typical teenage who is growing up in Pennsylvania. It doesn't take too long for chaos to ensure when the asteroid hits the moon.  I think the thing that I most enjoyed about this book was how detailed everything is. Miranda is a wonderful and reliable narrator, whose diary entries are so well explained.

When I finished reading this book I found myself not being about to think about much else. I also really enjoyed this book because it felt so real! It makes you think about things that you may normally not think about, and it makes you realize just how many things you take for granted. It also does a really great job in making you think about what would you do if something like this ever happened. There were several times I caught myself looking up at the moon.

I absolutely adored this book and I would recommend this to anyone!

Rating: 5 Stars. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lyndsi,
    Saw the link to your blog in a group on GR's. I'm following you through GFC.
    My Blog:
    http://365-books-a-year.blogspot.com/


    Great review- I have this book. I love those kind of natural disaster kind of things. And after reading your review, I need to dig up this book and start it. Have you read Ashfall? Which is another natural disaster type book- like a supervolcano in Yellowstone. I'm follower #3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn,
    Great review and I agree with you the cover is eye catching.
    Lucie
    http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete